This is my favorite go-to never-fail recipe for sweet homemade vanilla ice cream. This is the recipe that my family has used for years. It is easy and quick to whip up in a hurry. This recipe is from my mother-in-law, and the only time I ever ate it was when she would make it until I asked her for the recipe years ago. My sister-in-law and I tease her and say that she never gives us the correct recipes because our dishes never ever turn out as good as hers. Well, when she gave me this recipe, I know it is correct because it is always perfect!
When I was younger and newly married, I was afraid to make homemade ice cream when I had guests over. I was afraid that everyone would be so excited to eat homemade ice cream and when the freezer would stop churning, it would be a liquid mess. I finally got over my fear when I started making this recipe because this recipe has never ever failed me. You can add 5 or 6 peaches or a pint of strawberries to this recipe and it is truly amazing.
I like to put all the ingredients in the ice cream container and set it in the freezer or refrigerator before my guests arrive so when we are ready, we can just plug it up and go.
- 1 12ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 14 ounce can of condensed milk
- 1 pint half and half
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 % milk (fill the rest of the way up to the fill line on the ice cream freezer container)
- Rock Salt
- Ice (it usually takes a 10 pound bag or slightly more
- Place first 6 ingredients in the ice cream container and stir well. Fill the rest of the way with 2% milk up to the fill line. Place lid on and follow manufacturer for ice cream freezer directions for freezing.