I found this recipe on Pinterest this week. These Banana Bread muffins are gluten-free, sugar-free, and a clean eating recipe. There is no flour, sugar, oil, or butter in this recipe. What? No flour, not even whole wheat flour? The reviews for these were so great that I had to try them. I really did not think that they would turn out, but they did, and they are so good!! They are high in protein and only 58 calories a muffin. I gave one to my daughter who usually likes healthy food, and she loved it. Then the real test came, my picky 12 year old son tried them, and he gave me a smile and a thumbs up. The original recipe for the muffins can be found on this website Dashing Dish. I immediately made two more batches to freeze. These will be great for breakfast or afternoon snacks. Since baked goods have a short shelf life, I like to put the muffins in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. I take the muffins out when I am ready to eat them and microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Some of the comments on the blog where I found this recipe said that their muffins turned out flat, so I filled my muffin tins full and they turned out fine. They will not rise like the ones from the bakery because there is no flour. You will need to use foil lined muffin liners because they will stick a little bit. Also, spray the inside of the liner with cooking spray before you add the batter and they will not stick to the liner. The batter will be thin.
Also, I used 1/4 cup of Truvia in the first batch and 10 packages of Stevia in the second batch and both recipes turned out great.
Banana Bread Protein Muffins
From Dashing Dish
This recipe has been customized from Ziplist
- 3/4 cup Ripe banana (about 1 large banana)
- 3/4 cup Egg whites (6 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup Plain low fat greek yogurt (I used plain Chobani yogurt)
- 3/4 cup Oats (use gluten free if sensitive to gluten)
- 2 scoops Vanilla protein powder (I used Designer Whey™, or you could use any flavor you would like!) 2 scoops is 1/4 cup
- 12-14 packets Stevia (or 1/2 cup sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray, or line with silicone or foil liners, (spray liners if using).
- 2. Place all of the ingredients in a blender, (or food processor), and blend until mixture is smooth.
- 3. Divide mixture evenly between 12 muffin tins.
- 4. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
|58||Calories per serving|
*Weight Watchers Points per serving