I am excited to show you how I updated a thrifted mirror box with an agate knob. I have been wanting a box with an agate knob on top for my coffee table. These little boxes look beautiful on shelves and tables but can be pricey. These boxes usually cost around $100. I like to change up my home decor often. For me to justify changing things up, I need to purchase them as inexpensively as possible. If you are willing to do a little work, you can DIY a lot of home decor. Some of my DIY projects are my favorite things in my home.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. You can view the full disclosure policy.
Sometimes styling coffee tables can be difficult. The easiest way for me to style a coffee table is to find an inspiration photo that I like online or in a magazine and try to copy it. Search for like items that you see in your inspiration photo. I love coffee table books and thrift stores are a great place to find them. A box sitting on top of a stack of coffee table books is what I want.
I found this post for styling coffee tables from The Spruce very useful.
While I was thrift store shopping, I saw this mirror box. The box was $4. It is plain but I think I can make something beautiful with it.
When I saw this agate charm in the jewelry aisle at the craft store, I knew it would be perfect. You can also find these charms online.
How to Make an Agate Box
- Find a box . This one on Amazon will work perfectly.
- Hot Glue or any glue will do You can glue your agate directly to your box or you can add something to make a knob for your agate as I did.
- Find something to use for your agate to sit on. I used a wood bead. Spray paint the bead or object gold.
- Use a ruler to find the center of the box top.
- Glue the bead to the mirror box. I used hot glue because I may want to remove the agate knob. Hot glue will be easier to remove if desired.
- Glue the agate charm to the top of the bead. I am so pleased with how my DIY agate box looks on my coffee table. It looks expensive but cost me under $10. Decorating my home without spending a lot of money makes me happy.You may also like to see DIY Concrete Lamp